Hello again. No, it isn't
Bilbo Baggins. No, Whitesnake isn't
performing in my living room, “Here I go again on my own…” Yes, this goddamn cancer is back.
Most of you have read the initial email (see first blog entry)
discussing my recurrence and the recommendation for transplant. With Evan now almost 5 years old, though, I
refused to go that route. It would be so
traumatizing to have a parent be gone for so long. Plus, his birthday falls on Mothers Day this
year. No way I am missing that.
Plus, at this point, so far the cancer has shown up in the form
of one lump on the back of my shoulder.
I am very aware that my cancer spreads quite rapidly; however, with only
one lump, transplant seems like the equivalent of dropping a nuclear bomb
(transplant) on my body. So – no pun
intended – I decided to go with radiation, instead. We went to a subcutaneous t-cell lymphoma
specialist who agreed that transplant was too excessive and recommended local
radiation as an alternative, and the very capable physicians at UCI’s national
cancer center are now administering it on a daily basis for the next several
weeks.
Of course, as many of you know, Joe works at UCI and it’s led to
some interesting interactions when I come in for my treatment. The first time I went to check in for my
radiation consultation, I went up to the front desk and introduced myself,
saying, “Carmichael, checking in.”
The receptionist looked confused. “Wait, are you here to see Dr. Carmichael?”
I started laughing. “No, I
am Elizabeth Carmichael, and I am here to see Dr. Ramsanghani.”
“Oh!” She said and
explained, “We have a Dr. Carmichael here on the 3rd floor, so I thought you
were here to see him.”
“Yes, I know! That is my
husband!”
"Oh!” she responded again, laughing. “Hello, Mrs. Carmichael!” Then she began to realize that I was checking
in for radiation-oncology, and looked a bit confused.
“It's okay,” I reassured her.
“Don't worry, I’m here to see Dr. Ramsanghani.”
My thoughts (in this order):
My thoughts (in this order):
1. Crap, I cannot do this
incognito.
2. Double crap; they know
who I am now.
3. Sh*tballs; do I have to
look presentable coming to radiation everyday, now?
4. OMG; now I can't do
everything in my active wear.
5. Hahaha, remember that
funny video about women who aren't even exercising doing everything in their
active wear?
6. Oh, so sad, no active
wear or barefaced-messy-dirty-ponytail. Does that mean I have to shower?
7. I should bring doughnuts
or bagels or something.
I guess there are pros and cons to being the patient-wife of a cancer doctor.
* * *
I have already undergone one week of radiation therapy, and I
can tell you, it sucks the second time around. Yes, I understand radiation is better than
chemo, but it really is disheartening to think that the cancer is back. Coming to grips with the realization it has
recurred has been really difficult; I feel it reverberating in my heart and
soul. I think I never quite accepted
that the cancer could come back; now not only is it back and likely to come
back again, I believe that it is likely to kill me.
I tell people that I just hope to make it long enough to see
Evan graduate college and see the beginnings of him making his way into the
world. Preferably as a doctor – he has
been to so many appointments with me, I think he will actually become a doctor,
dohl choices notwithstanding. (Yay, Evan!) And as you all know, I will probably not be able
to rest, eternally or in the more immediate context, until I know Evan will be
successful. Not rich, but successful. Educated, smart, kind, and socially conscious.
You know, the usual stuff parents dream
that their children will be. Oh, and happy. I want him to be happy.
You can lead a baby to a stethoscope...
So, the first week of radiation has come and gone. What have I learned? First, I am always cognizant of the fact that
I am Joe’s wife. I must wear sundresses
or strappy dresses so that I won't have to undress for radiation. I am a bit uncomfortable being under so much
scrutiny at UCI. They all know I am
Joe's wife, so I don't feel as if I can ask any questions (despite my sister’s
constant exhortations that I should be doing the opposite). I must be strong and stoic. I must be graceful under pressure. I must be calm and kind. As most of you know, this is a very difficult role
for me. My bulk orders of home bandages
are testament to the fact that I am clumsy, not graceful; I am stoic, but only
because I am socially awkward; and I am only calm when I am in control, which I
am clearly not in this situation. But
the thought of undressing in front of the technicians or nurses makes the whole
situation feel so much worse, so I am relegated to wearing sundresses that
expose my shoulder and shivering through the cool mornings when I have my
appointment. Basically, I feel
ridiculous.
![]() |
| Don't mind me, nothing to see here! Just Liz in her sundress, hehehe! |
Secondly, the radiation resident knows some of my history,
which makes me feel even more awkward. His
wife is a plastic surgery resident who assisted in my right cheek cancer
reconstruction surgery two years ago. My
prior surgery to remove the tumor in my head had left the skin fused to the
bone, badly scarred, so I had surgery to remove some of the scar tissue and
restore some facial function. What a
small world, and what an embarrassment. They
already know too much about me. I am
such a private person, and it is killing me that they 1) know I have cancer and
2) suspect I am vain.
Finally, I am forced to smile, not complain about anything, and
I am not comfortable asking any questions. So, thank goodness, I still check in with my
main oncologist at Kaiser, and ask him all the questions that I feel are too
stupid to bring up to the physicians at UCI. After all, I don't want Joe's colleagues
thinking that his wife is an idiot.
The first week has been tougher emotionally than physically. I go everyday, and it is demoralizing. A reminder of the cancer recurring. A reminder that I still, after all that pain
from before, have not beaten this thing. John Mayer sucks. My body is not a Wonderland, you idiot; it is a Princess Bride-like Pit of Despair.
I am just starting to read Anderson Cooper's new book, a
pseudo-autobiography and biography of himself and his mother, Gloria
Vanderbilt. Gloria Vanderbilt is herself
a very eloquent writer, poet, artist, actress, and heiress. She fell ill upon her 91st birthday, and wrote
these words that resonated with me:
It is a cliché, but a true one, and I understand it only now: Health is your most treasured gift. As long as you have it, you are independent, master of yourself. Illness grabs the soul. You plunge in and out of hope, fearing you will never recover. All that I have been, all that I am, all that I might become no longer exists. I am alone. Nothing can distract from the truth of this finality.
How can my body betray me when there is so much still to be done? You see, it isn't age itself that betrays you; it is your body, and with its degeneration goes your power. You end up obsessed, entirely focused on your health, paying attention to every nuance, every ache and pain. Instead of working or living your life, you waste your time on appointments with doctors.
How true this is. I have
told many of my friends after that first bout with cancer, I feel my power has diminished.
Like Galadriel says in Lord of the
Rings, after she loses the ring’s power, “I will diminish, and go to the
West.”
I used to be so confident, so brash, so proud. But, even so, there is light. I have Evan, and I have the loving support of
my friends and family. I cannot let this
beat me down, despite the darkness of its future implications, and the severity
of its current bite. I will, I must
prevail, and make it through to the other side. And so I will.


Amazing Liz... You have such a powerful way with your words that puts us right there with you. Thank you so much for sharing this hard journey with all of us. You are so tough, courageous, beautiful and of course making us laugh with your brilliant sense of humor!! Whenever you feel diminished or discouraged, just count on us to be the hope and strength for you. We can carry you when you need till the end of this. Promise. Love you.
ReplyDeleteSharon, you have always been my sister, my rock, my soft blankie, and my heart. My life is so rich with you by my side.
DeleteYou should never feel ashamed of who you are and the fact that you are choosing life -- choosing to live, to be there not only for your family but for yourself, and your right to live a long, happy, fulfilling life. I am so proud of you and to be your little sister. I hope that, if anything happens through this process, you come to realize how valued you are as a person, and that you learn to not only fight on behalf of others, but on behalf of yourself, too. You have the right to ask questions, receive treatment, fix scars, and just be happy. For you. Not just for Evan, me, Joe, Mom, Dad, or anyone else. For you. To paraphrase a line from a great American author, "You are your best thing, Unnee. You are."
ReplyDeleteI love you so much, Unnee. We are in this together. Always.
I love you so much Catherine. You are my comfort and my joy always. I don't know what I would do without your unfailing love and support. I love you, baby sis.
DeleteWe love you Liz and are here for you. Everyday I have been praying for you and will continue to pray. We serve a good God and he hears our prayers. We can't but God can! You are the most courageous person I know, continue to be bold and do what's right for you. You have a way with words that can have a person in your shoes with you. I think you have to start writing next. ;) We love you very much.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. God has always brought you into my life, no matter where we both are in life or in the world. Thank you for your gifts of love, support, and friendship always.
DeleteSo totally there with you in spirit every step of the way. Will continue to send prayers and hugs your way. Love you so much.
ReplyDeleteSorry, the above reply is Angela, hard to type with a baby in your arms.
DeleteHaha, how are you doing my cousin? Baby in your arms, the other clamoring for your attention, chaos, right? Love you so much. My childhood memories, my adult memories, and my heart are all filled with us: playing, pretending, getting into trouble, and now having and raising our babies. Here's a cheers to cousins, and their everlasting love and kinship!
DeleteLiz, I saw the email come in yesterday to let us know you started this blog again and i hesitated to read it even though i already knew the basics. I knew I needed a quiet place so that I could sit and really take it in. You are the most incredible, loyal, thoughtful, caring and present friend I have known in all my life. Somehow I feel we were somehow connected in another life and will probably be connected again in the next. The thought of loosing you one day in this life (even if its when we are 80 or 90) breaks my heart completely in 2. I can barely think about it completely so I have to remain strong for you and remind you how strong you truly are. Since I've moved I have felt physically far away from you and I hate it...but I know we have a special connection that will never fade.
ReplyDeleteI could tell this time was different. That you didn't have the same attitude of "Im gonna fight this"...Last time you almost ignored that you were sick and just went through the motions of recovery. I know its so hard this time because you have been through this and know what a bitch it is to do each ugly step.
Don't let this cancer get you....You need to walk into UCI proudly in your workout wear/ sweats/ ponytail...however you want to and ask all the questions you want and need!!! Thats you!!! Don't let the cancer take that away from you!!! Joe loves you for who you are and those people in the hospital are going to have to deal with it.....Forget the sundresses! Pick up a donut for yourself and Evan and if you feel like it then bring in some for the hospital staff too. They will all learn to love and appreciate you for who you are just like everyone else does....You are AMAZING! You are STRONG!! You are CARING!! You are a fabulous wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend! Be who you are!!!! Don't let anyone bring you down! I am always here for you. I will always drop everything and be there if you need me.. You know that! I love you more than i can ever show you. BE YOURSELF!!!! Remember in theory thats really all you have...don't waste it! Your Wifey, Natalie
Hi Wifey. I know you know my heart always. Nothing can keep us apart. Neither distance, nor death, will keep us apart! We will always somehow find each other. I love you with all my heart, and please know that I always have you with me. Your heart is true; you're a pal and a confidant. :)
Delete